Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Read The Bills

Michigan Democratic Representative John Conyers on why he should be fired.

So, don't read the bill, and then vote on it. And brag about your vote so you can get re-elected to vote for more things that you don't know what they mean.

Sent this to one of my senators this morning:

I will not be able to make it to this evening's town hall due to a family obligation.

However, if I were there, I would emphasize my belief in the Founders' view of Limited Government, and pass along this quote to Congress:

“It will be of little avail to the people, that the laws are made by men of their own choice, if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood…”
- The Federalist #62, James Madison

At the very least, I think members of Congress absolutely should read the bills, and they absolutely should be heavily involved in writing them -- rather than having Think-Tanks submit bills for approval. I don't have a problem with Congress taking advisement from such organizations, but Congress needs to be responsible for what is in the bills.

And if the bills are too long to read... write shorter ones.

Read the Bills. And One Subject At A Time.

Go to http://www.downsizedc.org/, sign up, and write your congress critters.

No comments: