Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A Progressive Idea I Like

This sunday starts Ken Burns' latest project, "America's Best Idea: The History of National Parks". I, for one, will be watching.

I am a big fan of National Parks.

And Teddy Roosevelt was to an extent, a progressive.

Mr. Burns says it really isn't about the parks themselves, but how they came about. Their story. It was a good idea then, and it will remain a good idea.

I can't tell you the times I've stood among majestic mountains or floated down an Ozark River that I didn't think, thank God, thank God ... we thought of this ... and did it.

To set aside some of the most beautiful and intriguing parts of the country for everyone's sakes, present and future generations -- to preserve some of the Wild Country. They are soul-stirring places.

I suppose one could argue that conservation is a conservative idea, and one would be correct. In the end, it is a government program, but more of a stewardship program than a social program, to ever grow in interpretation, size, and scope. It really doesn't re-distribute wealth. It just protects some natural wealth that was already here for all to enjoy.

Yes, I'm aware that land was taken from the native population and there were probably private landowners that were screwed over and that the story isn't perfect. But there it is, and here we are, and I think it's one thing that Conservatives & Progressives can agree on.

Great idea.

No comments: